Energy Exemplar is a leader in the technology of power market modelling. Energy Exemplar’s PLEXOS® for Power Systems (PLEXOS®) is used by independent system operators, regulators, generation companies, transmission companies, consultants and analysts across every region of the world for power market modelling, planning, and portfolio optimization. PLEXOS® is a truly next-generation power market simulator with solution methods based on linear, mixed integer and quadratic optimization.
Our people understand that true innovation requires a sense of urgency, creative thinking and inspired invention. We continually think of novel approaches and more realistic simulations that enhance decision making, create market opportunities that benefit us all and enable utilities and regulatory authorities to become smarter, more energy efficient and profitable.
Energy Exemplar is a leading developer of power market simulation software with a customer base spanning the globe. From humble beginnings as Drayton Analytics and later expanding globally as Energy Exemplar the company is focused on the development, support, and application of the class-leading PLEXOS for Power Systems® (PLEXOS) software.
- In 1999 Glenn and Louise Drayton founded Drayton Analytics in Adelaide, Australia. With a small group of experts in Operations Research, and Economics, the company developed the initial version of PLEXOS and released it in mid-2000. This software was itself an evolution of the “WEMSIM” software developed by Glenn Drayton for his doctoral studies on electric power market design, hydro-thermal coordination, and energy/ancillary service co-optimisation.
- Drayton Analytics found immediate demand for the PLEXOS software in the Australian and Singaporean markets, where its strong co-optimisation and mathematical framework were able to simulate power markets using LP-based clearing software with unprecedented accuracy.
- In 2001 the company partnered with Twan Vollebregt of Elan Energy Consulting in The Netherlands to offer the software and related consulting and data services to the European market. Through this partnership the PLEXOS software gained a significant presence in Europe. PLEXOS was adopted by the Irish SEM as the de facto ‘standard’ simulator because of its ability to reproduce the optimisation-based market clearing operation of the market, and its open, auditable solution methods.
- In 2004 Drayton Analytics partnered with Mark Henwood, Eric Toolson, Tao Guo, and Wenxiong Huang formally of Henwood Energy Systems to create PLEXOS Solutions, a California-based software, consulting and data firm with rights to market the PLEXOS software in North America. PLEXOS rapidly evolved into a leading-edge transmission model and featured in the redesign of the California power market. PLEXOS Solutions now offers a wide range of consulting and data services around the PLEXOS product including daily forecasts of electric prices at every node in the California market.
- In 2006 a partnership with the economic consultants MMA in Melbourne, Australia expanded the existing customer base for PLEXOS throughout the Asia-Pacific region and into southern Africa.
- On 29th June 2006 Energy Exemplar Pty Ltd was Registered and assumed the role and responsibilities of Drayton Analytics Pty Ltd.
- Energy Exemplar opened its London office in June 2009 and assumed the distribution, support, implementation and consulting roles for the PLEXOS product in the European region.
- Energy Exemplar on January 2011 has assumed the distribution, support, implementation and consulting roles for the PLEXOS product in the South American region.
- Energy Exemplar on February 2011 has assumed the distribution, support, implementation and consulting roles for the PLEXOS product in the Asia Pacific region.
- On the 5th of August 2011, Energy Exemplar acquired PLEXOS Solutions.
Energy Exemplar continues to ‘push the envelope’, being first-to-market with the latest advances in mathematical programming and power market simulation theory, as it strives to offer the most comprehensive simulation software to its customer base. Development continues to be headquartered in Adelaide, Australia, led by the Glenn Drayton backed by a team with expertise in software development, Operations Research, Economics, Mathematics, Statistics, and Electrical Engineering.
PLEXOS is used across every region of the world by:
- Independent system operators
- Generation companies
- Transmission companies
Energy Exemplar works closely with a number of world-class academics and third-party suppliers, integrators, consultants and data suppliers. If you or your company are interested in collaborating with us on development of new simulation features, or in providing consulting, training, or data services please contact us.